Lent inspires most of us to not only pause and reflect on our spiritual life but also time to choose a simpler and healthier lifestyle – away from the sugars and fats that infiltrate our daily life. Our Convent has been scaling back this lent and doing just this. It has made us more grateful for what we have and savor the more special moments.
One of our Sisters, who spent some time in Germany, is a big fan of homemade Muesli. I got inspired to take this idea into a bread. Since one of our most visited recipes is a gluten free oat bread, I thought readers might enjoy this hearty and beautiful muesli bread which is also gluten free! Packed with fiber, dried fruits and nuts, it’s so hearty that one slice will easily take care of your morning hunger pangs. If you are on a low fat, low sugar diet, this is the recipe for you. Blessed Lent!
SERVINGS1loaf (12 slices)
CHANGE SERVING SIZEloaf (12 slices)
READY IN2 hrs30 mins
- 3/4 cup creamy roasted almond butter at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground flax meal
- 1/4 cup dried apricots chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pistachios or slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 7-by-3-inch loaf pan with pam and dust with almond flour or lined with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond butter and agave nectar with a handheld mixer until smooth, then blend in the eggs. In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt, baking soda, and flax meal. Blend the almond flour mixture into the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Fold in the apricots, cranberries, pistachios, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven, until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 1 hour, then serve.