It seems we barely get cleaned up from one reception, and it’s time to prepare for another. We have many events happening on a regular basis and they almost always are accompanied by the serving of food or refreshments of one kind or another. At a recent reception we revised an old favorite that met with a great response. We served this hot chicken salad in little cream puffs and they disappeared so quickly we couldn’t keep the trays filled.
Hot Chicken Salad Puffs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix the chicken, celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion salt, spices, onion and almonds.
- Transfer to the baking dish, and top with Cheddar cheese and crushed potato chips.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Fill cream puffs, arrange on platter and serve.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease (or line with parchment paper) two baking sheets.
- Combine the water, butter and salt in a medium-sized saucepan, heat until the butter has melted and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the flour all at once, stirring vigorously until the mixture smooths out and follows the spoon around the pan; this should take less than 30 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and let the mixture cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- It will still feel hot. Transfer the dough to a mixer.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time; the mixture will look curdled, but when you add the last egg it should become smooth.
- Beat for 1 minute after adding the last egg. You will have a stiff, smooth batter.
- Drop the dough by Tablespoonful’s onto the prepared sheets.
- Leave about 2″ between them.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, till they have puffed, they are medium golden brown and they look dry.
- Remove baked puffs from the oven and use a sharp knife to cut a slit into the side of each puff, for steam to escape; this will help prevent them from becoming soggy.
- Return the puffs to the oven for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Slit each puff in half around the circumference and fill with a heaping Tablespoonful of chicken salad.
- Replace the top.