For everything there is a season, and with this post on one of summer’s classic favorite fruits, we publish our final recipe. We know many of you loved trying out the recipes over the years and this post on creamy frozen strawberry squares will be no exception!
While this is the final new recipe/post for this blog – the entire searchable library of recipes will remain here on the site as always. The recipe search option can be used to find recipes that feature a certain ingredient, or perhaps an old favorite.
Today’s post features the strawberry – so abundant in the summer months!
Its surplus gives thoughts to strawberry rhubarb pie, a sisterhood favorite, the time honored classic strawberry shortcake, as well as other new ideas. A particularly bumper crop of strawberries this year has given us an opportunity to experiment and try some fresh ideas. After working with different combinations of crunchy crumbs and creamy strawberry fillings, this one proves to be a winner and captures the essence of Summer!
While the posts for this website are ending, we will be continuing to publish “Daily Bread” – a daily spiritual meditation on the Community of Jesus website that includes an excerpt from the Liturgy of the Hours, a meditation, a prayer and the lectionary readings. The “Daily Bread” can also be delivered to your mailbox.
Click here to subscribe to the “Daily Bread”
We’ve enjoyed the partnership with all of you over the years and this last post comes with a prayer for God’s blessing on our readers.
CHANGE SERVING SIZE
PREP TIME35minutes, plus 2 hours
- Crunchy Topping
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Creamy Strawberry Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups strawberries
- Set oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, toss together topping ingredients and then spread out on a baking sheet
- Toast in oven until walnuts are fragrant and crumbs are golden. Set aside.
- Spray a 8x11 or 9x13 pan with nonstick spray
- Place strawberries in blender and puree until smooth (saving a few whole ones aside for garnish)
- In mixing bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form; set aside in another bowl
- In same mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy, then add condensed milk, vanilla, pureed strawberries;mix slowly until combined
- Fold in whipped cream, until partially blended
- Spread half of the toasted crumbs into baking dish, followed by strawberry filling
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top and place in freezer for 2 or more hours, until frozen
- When thoroughly frozen, remove from freezer 1 half hour before serving; cut into squares and serve with whipped cream topping and fresh strawberry garnish