We leave our leeks in the garden to enjoy through the winter months. I took advantage of the January thaw to pluck a few for inspiration. I love using things up in a creative way, and I remembered that I had a few bags of croutons in the freezer, left over from our “O Antiphon” Party at Christmas, where we had served up a hot cheese dip on hollowed out bread bowls. I immediately thought of a savory bread pudding. I also found some sauteed mushrooms in the freezer — a treasure! So I added a little celery, some eggs and cream, and voila! I had tonight’s side dish for a roast, or today’s lunch with a salad and crusty bread.
Savory Bread Pudding with Leeks and Mushrooms
CHANGE SERVING SIZEservings
COOK TIME45 - 52mins.
- 10 cups bread (about 1 pound of bread), toasted and cubed in 1
- 4 tbsp. butter or better yet, bacon fat
- 1 lb. mushroom(s) sliced
- 3 leek(s) large, cleaned and sliced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 3 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 egg(s)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter or bacon fat in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms, leeks, celery and saute until soft, about 10 to 12 minutes; add thyme and cook about a minute more until fragrant.
- In a large bowl, mix together bread cubes and vegetable mixture.
- Whisk together heavy cream, eggs, salt and ground pepper in another bowl.
- Mix custard into bread and vegetables, then transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over top.
- Bake pudding uncovered until set and top is golden, about 35 to 40 minutes.