Merry Christmas from Bethany Convent! This year, the Sisters enjoyed this lovely Grilled Ceasar Salad with our Christmas meal. It was so easy and delicious, we wanted to share it with you. Our prayers are with each one of you as we close out 2019 and look forward with hope and expectation to a new year together!
CHANGE SERVING SIZE
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan grated
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Other ingredients:
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium lemon(s) halved (for grilling)
- 1/2 baguette bread or other rustic bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for the lettuce
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 ounces fresh parmesan cheese for flaking
- Prepare the dressing: In a bowl, add the mayonnaise, Worcestershire, lemon juice, Dijon, vinegar and garlic and whisk until combined. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the Parmesan and continue to whisk. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. This can be made ahead and kept refrigerated until ready to use
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush olive oil on the romaine hearts and season with salt and pepper. Place the romaine cut-side down on the grill and cook until nicely marked, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Brush the lemon halves with olive oil and grill cut sized down until you have grill marks on the lemons and they are soft and golden
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Prepare croutons: tear up the bread into bite sized chunks and drizzle with olive oil. Toss until the oil is well distributed. Toss with Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt until well seasoned to your liking. Spread on a baking sheet and bake until crispy and golden about 10-15 min. Remove from oven and let cool.
- With a vegetable peeler, flake your Parmesan cheese into large pieces.
- To assemble: lay your grilled romaine hearts on a platter, drizzle with the dressing and finish off with croutons, flakes of Parmesan cheese and the grilled lemon halves. Enjoy!