We continue to enjoy the harvest from our gardens over these summer months. This week we had an abundance of beautiful lettuce, so we expanded our repertoire and tried out some new combinations for our guests at Bethany. The crisp, salty, creaminess of the fried goat cheese paired with the sweet and pungent combination of the blackberry balsamic vinaigrette is the key here. Summer is a wonderful time to experiment with all sorts of combinations in a salad. “The colors of a fresh garden salad are so extraordinary, no painter’s pallet can duplicate nature’s artistry.” Have fun creating, eating, sharing, and enjoying nature’s storehouse!
Blackberry Balsamic Salad with Crispy Fried Goat Cheese and Grilled Chicken
Blackberry Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Mix everything well in the blender until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Fried Goat Cheese
- Dredge the goat cheese slices/balls in the flour
- Dip in the beaten egg
- Dip in panko
- Fry in oil over medium heat until lightly golden brown before setting aside on paper towels to drain.
- Marinate the chicken in half of the vinaigrette for 30 minutes to over night before grilling over medium-high heat until golden and cooked through, about 2-5 minutes per side. Set aside to cool and slice.
- Assemble the salad and enjoy!
Note: Best enjoyed while the fried goat cheese is still warm from frying!
Fresh Pear Blue Cheese Salad
A perfectly ripened pear is a beautifully elegant sight to behold. Equally as satisfying to senses is the savoring of its taste. Here again is something so naturally delicious it needs no enhancing. Be that as it may, whenever I’ve served a Fresh Pear Blue Cheese Salad the responses are so overwhelming that I keep wondering why I don’t do it more often. These two ingredients so naturally compliment each other when “peared” together, it’s as though they were made for each other. Here is all you do to create this marvelous tasting sensation:
Place one beautiful lettuce leaf on a serving plate. Top with a handful of cut lettuce. Drizzle with your favorite ranch dressing. Place a pear half cavity side up. Fill with a spoonful of thick sour cream seasoned with onion salt. Sprinkle the entire salad as generously or as sparingly as desired with crumbled blue cheese. Sprinkle the entire salad with lightly salted toasted pecans. The key of course is the perfectly ripened beautiful fresh pear.
Fresh Pear Blue Cheese Salad
- Place one beautiful lettuce leaf on a serving plate.
- Top with a handful of cut lettuce.
- Drizzle with your favorite ranch dressing.
- Place a pear half cavity side up.
- Fill with a spoonful of thick sour cream seasoned with onion salt.
- Sprinkle the entire salad as generously or as sparingly as desired with crumbled blue cheese.
- Sprinkle the entire salad with lightly salted toasted pecans.
- The key of course is the perfectly ripened beautiful fresh pear.