“O Star of wonder, Star of night, Star with royal beauty bright…Guide us to thy perfect light.” How wondrous the Star that leads the Magi to the Infant Christ! And as we continue to celebrate this season so filled with awe and beauty, it lends itself to more creativity as we prepare treats for the many Yuletide events—(or for any festive occasion!)
CHANGE SERVING SIZEcookies
PREP TIME2 hours 15minutes
READY IN2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract if desired
- dash salt
- Food coloring & Sprinkles of your choice
- Beat the butter and sugar in mixer bowl until light and fluffy; add egg and flavorings and beat until smooth.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and after sifting flour, baking powder and salt together, add slowly until just blended.
- Divide dough in half, forming 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, until firm, or longer if need be. It will need to be pliable to be able to roll out.
- Using a sprinkling of flour, roll out dough to about an 1/8’ thickness. Cut out your desired shapes; place on baking sheet and bake for about 15” or until slightly golden. Let cool for a few minutes before glazing them.
- In a medium size bowl, mix by hand, the sifted confectioners’ sugar, milk, corn syrup, salt, and flavorings until smooth and well blended. Depending upon the colors you’re using, divide glaze into separate dishes, adding colors
- Holding the cookie, gently lay it on top of the glaze, so that surface is covered. Set aside for a few minutes and then decorate with colored sprinkles of your choice, before glaze sets too firmly.