Summertime Blueberry Nectarine Crumble Pie
This past weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to pick blueberries from a local farm with a good friend of mine. We arrived shortly after sunrise on a glorious Sunday morning. We talked little and just enjoyed circling the bushes from different angles to find the plump berries. Her husband had fashioned coffee cans into containers that dangled from our necks to collect the berries. We both used this time to pray and be thankful. It's amazing how close to God we both felt in nature. So much beauty and peace surrounded us. I hope you will taste God's goodness in this tasty summertime treat.
SERVINGS1 pie(8 servings)
CHANGE SERVING SIZE(8 servings)
COOK TIME1 hour, 30 minutes
PREP TIME20 - 30minutes
- 1 deep dish pie crust - 9 inch unbaked well chilled before filling
- For the filling:
- 2/3 cup sugar (or more if you want a sweeter filling)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 whole lemon zest and juiced
- 4-5 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 large nectarines (or peaches with skin removed), sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the crumble topping:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 6 tbsp cold butter cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line the pie crust with parchment and add pie weights or dried beans. Place on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and bake the crust for about 20 min. Remove parchment and weights and return to the oven for 10 min. until slightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the filling: Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt and lemon zest. Put the blueberries in a mixing bowl and add the sliced nectarines, lemon juice, vanilla and the sugar/cornstarch mixture. Gently toss and let sit as the berries start releasing their juices.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumble: In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and white sugar. Pulse until combined (this can also be done by hand). With your hands, press topping together to form clumps and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Assemble the pie: Pour the blueberry/nectarine mixture into your blind baked crust. Top with the crumble mixture - covering the top and spreading evenly.
- Bake until the filling bubbles and the pie is golden brown, about one hour. Allow to cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.