Sunday breakfast is an opportunity to make something a bit more special in the Convent. With the start of summer and still in our quasi “stay at home” status, this Sunday was no different. These scones laced with Cape Cod flavor were the perfect accompaniment to fluffy scrambled eggs and a hot cup of coffee. You can even prepare them the night before and bake them fresh in the morning. We hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
CHANGE SERVING SIZE
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- zest of one orange
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup dried craisins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp milk or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tbsp butter
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl, add zest of one orange. Cut in butter using a pastry blender until it resembles small peas. Stir in the craisins.
- Mix together 1/2 cup milk and sour cream in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, and stir gently until well blended. Do not overwork the dough or they will be tough.
- With floured hands, pat the dough into one large disk about 1" tall. Place the disk on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and with a sharp knife or bench knife, score into 8 triangles cutting almost all the way through the dough. (If not baking until the next day, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at this point.)
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of milk or heavy cream. Brush the top of the scone with the egg wash and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown, but not deep brown and the scone is cooked through. Cool for about 10 min. while preparing the glaze.
- Mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar until dissolved in a microwave-safe bowl. Whisk in the butter and lemon zest. Microwave for 30 seconds and whisk until the glaze is smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the scones. Let it set a minute before serving. Enjoy!