Salad bars are a real favorite at the Convent. They always bring a happy response from the sisters. With a variety of so many healthy wholesome food to choose from, everyone is sure to find something they like. Recently we roasted fresh beets intending to use them in a familiar salad. While they were being cut up my eyes fell on some beautiful oranges nearby- loving the colors of both I could not resist the urge to combine them. The result was a very different dish from what it started out to be! Not only did the rich colors complement each other, so did their flavors. Baking beets brings out their flavor as no other way of cooking them can. Combining them with fresh orange zest and fruit, red onions and red wine vinegar gives them a surprising zip and mouthwatering brightness.
CHANGE SERVING SIZEpeople
- 6 beet(s)
- 3 orange(s)
- 1 onion(s) red
- 1 handful parsley finely chopped
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoons Onion salt
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Place beets in a foil lined pan and roast for an hour or until tender. Cool. Peel and cut into wedges.
- Place oil and vinegar into a mixing bowl.
- Grate 1 tablespoon full of the red onion into the bowl.
- Zest 1 tablespoon of orange rind into the bowl.
- Add finely chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon onion salt, freshly ground black pepper and marmalade.
- Whisk together and pour over beets. Cut rind off from oranges and cut fruit into slices or wedges. Combine with beets.