Variation on a Thumbprint Cookie
As we were planning a reception for an upcoming Organ Concert, we all agreed on the perfect savories, but couldn’t make a decision about a complimentary sweet. “How about Thumbprint Cookies,” piped up a nearby sister, “but this time, try rolling them in chopped nuts.” Great idea – they’re colorful, and above all, they’re an old-time favorite that everyone loves. Butter, brown sugar, chopped nuts, and your jam of choice – a definite Yum!
CHANGE SERVING SIZEcookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 egg(s) divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1 dash salt
- jam of your choice (raspberry, apricot especially tasty)
- Preheat oven to 325
- Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg yolk; keep egg white separate in a little dish.
- Toss the flour and salt lightly together and then gently mix in.
- Shape dough into 20 balls; dip in egg white and then in chopped nuts
- Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart; make a thumb indentation, and be sure the dough isn’t splitting apart.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes. When golden and done, remove from oven, and indent each cookie again. Then spoon a little of your favorite jam into each thumbprint. Cool completely.