“Think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?”
Well, I certainly hope not, because this has been the best year yet for our rhubarb patches. Never have they produced so much fruit and never have we tried so many new rhubarb recipes. We’ve had many more compliments and requests for more rhubarb in any form we’ve made it!
Personally, I don’t think anything can top a lovely dish of plain rhubarb or strawberry rhubarb sauce for the finishing touch on a favorite meal. Make it now while the fruit is available, and freeze a good amount for when it’s not.
A favorite breakfast we often serve for those on retreat (or sisters!), is a strawberry rhubarb parfait made with our own yogurt, and topped with homemade granola. By the way, rhubarb is chock full of nutritional value which many people do not know!
CHANGE SERVING SIZEparfaits
- 4 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb sliced
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, orange juice, cornstarch, and vanilla in a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add strawberries and rhubarb, reducing heat and cook together stirring occasionally, until tender (5--10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and mash the cooked berries with a fork.
- Serve in a parfait glass, layering yogurt, sauce and granola as desired.
This sauce is also a treat served warm over vanilla ice cream!