It’s a cool crisp October day. The kind of day that is perfect for a piping-hot cup of afternoon tea and a nice warm freshly baked piece of tea bread or coffee cake. Not just any kind of coffee cake. No, this is a day for my favorite spicy nutmeg cake.
What makes this cake so special to me? Well, to begin with, I love nutmeg and this is a nutmeg lover’s cake. The other thing is that while many coffee cakes have crumb toppings this cake has its “crumbs” on the bottom! Surprising but so delicious. Moist on the inside, crisp and crunchy on the bottom and nutty and golden on the top.
If you love nutmeg, you will love this cake. If you are not a nutmeg lover, you just may become one after trying it!
CHANGE SERVING SIZE
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 egg(s)
- 1 tsp. nutmeg ground
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup nuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- Blend together brown sugar, flour and butter to make a crumb mixture.
- Spread half the mixture in the pan.
- Stir nutmeg, sour cream, baking soda and egg into the remaining crumb mixture.
- Pour batter over the crumbs in the pan.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake for 35 minutes.