As my mother tells it, I requested a chocolate mousse cake for my fifth birthday–and 30 years later it remains a favorite! This recipe appeals to my coffee-loving adult tastes, but with a kid friendly ingredient: Marshmallows.
Skipping the fuss of egg whites and gelatin used in other mousse recipes, this dessert can be prepared in minutes as a final touch to any festive gathering this holiday season. Enjoy!
- Using an electric mixer, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Then place bowl of whipped cream in the refrigerator.
- In a double boiler, combine marshmallows and coffee until fully melted together on low heat. Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt.
- Let marshmallow mixture cool until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Fold whipped cream into marshmallow mixture and spoon into dessert dishes (we used chocolate petit-fours cups).
- Cover and chill until fully set, about 2 hours.
- Garnish with a curl of chocolate or a dollop of whipped cream with a dusting of cocoa powder for a festive finish.