I’ve come to sing the praises of the famous Eastham Turnip: legendary bulbous taproots that some Cape Codders value even more than turkey at Thanksgiving! Whether one prefers them boiled, roasted and buttered the old fashioned way or chooses to have them roasted with bacon and scallions in a more upscale manner, their distinctive flavor is almost always addictive!
CHANGE SERVING SIZEservings
- 5-6 whole garden turnips washed
- 1 bunch fresh scallions
- 6 pieces bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put whole turnips into a shallow baking pan with an inch of water. Salt the water beforehand if desired.
- Cover the pan and bake the turnips until they begin to soften and the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Spread slices of bacon and scallions over the turnips and cook uncovered until the turnips are soft and the bacon is crisp.
- Remove turnips, bacon and scallions and serve as a tasty side dish with your meal!