As I write this, it is snowing again. Wow,what a winter it has been, and continues to be. I begin to wonder if spring is truly going to come. But like any issue of faith, one just has to believe. Spring has always come, with its promise of new beginnings and life, and it will be all the more special this year when it does.
Usually I would be starting to think of things like asparagus and lemon, lamb and baby beets–but it’s just a little too chilly still for the spring forerunners. I’m still thinking about hot stews and soups, lovely warm desserts like apple crisp in little ramekins with ice cream melting on it. So, to keep us warm through these last chilly days of winter, here is a recipe for orange-tinged mini apple crisps.
CHANGE SERVING SIZEramekins
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbsp walnuts chopped
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 3 apple(s) large tart sweet such as gala, Macintosh, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter 6 ramekins.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, walnuts, 2 Tablespoons sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- Pour butter over and mix together with a fork. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine apples, remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar and orange juice, tossing to coat.
- Divide among ramekins, top with flour mixture.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until fruit is tender and topping is golden. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired.