There’s a crispness to the air, a welcome relief to the humidity and heat of our 2018 Cape Cod summer! This past Saturday, our entire community joined in a “beehive” of activity as we
tackled a daunting list of tasks and projects, left in the wake of a busy summer. Digging out attic spaces, weeding gardens, scrubbing the bell tower floor, getting the barn clean and ready to house animals for winter, and cooking meals ahead for an upcoming choir recording were some of the projects accomplished last weekend. But it was also the beginning of harvest time. We culled apples and pears and gratefully recognized what a bountiful harvest it was going to be. The Sisterhood celebrated with brunch on Sunday. And since I was “in the mood,” I whipped up some ingredient-packed muffins that had all the essence of Fall – complete with cinnamon!
CHANGE SERVING SIZEmuffins (approx.)
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots packed
- 1 cup shredded zucchini packed
- 1 large apple cored and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup almond(s) coarsely chopped (walnuts, or pecans also work) (optional)
- 2 orange(s) zested
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease muffin cups with non-stick spray and line with muffin papers
- Beat eggs, oil, orange zest and vanilla in a bowl to blend
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl
- Separately, mix carrots, zucchini, apple, raisins, coconut, and almonds together - add the egg and oil mixture
- Sift flour mixture into the vegetable mixture and mix all together by hand until well blended.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup with one scoop of batter.
- Bake until center of muffin springs back to touch - about 20-25 min.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.