Near the first of June, everything is accelerated here in the Community of Jesus, including special events. Attention to gardens, increased numbers of guests and events require increased work. Sisters from our convent kitchen are called on to help with the cooking and serving in our retreat kitchen and guest house. Still, every effort is made to maintain care in preparing meals at the convent with the same attention to details and care.
One of the tricks to doing this is to come up with menus that are as time-saving as possible to prepare but are still healthy, flavorful and appealing. Our menu planners are great at this, as proven by this Asian chicken meal we had for dinner last night. Because the chicken and it’s sauce was so flavorful we served it with plain white rice and fresh rainbow chard sautéed in a little olive oil and fresh garlic.
CHANGE SERVING SIZE
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp peeled fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil asian
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks (2 3/4 pounds)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 500°Fahrenheit
- Whisk together all ingredients except chicken, then coat chicken all over with sauce.
- Arrange pieces, skin sides up in 1 layer without crowding, in a foil-lined large shallow baking pan (1 inch deep).
- Roast in upper third of oven until chicken is cooked through and glaze is brown, 30-40 minutes- basting several times.