This has been a busy month in the kitchen; Advent is a time we sell a lot of baked goods in the gift shop. The first weekend we always have plated teas in the guesthouse and a service of Advent Lessons and Carols. We enjoy making Bourbon cakes, Strawberry rhubarb pies, cranberry bread, ginger spice cookies, chocolate fudge, English toffee, orange rolls, St Lucia bread, to name a few. We make a lot of these on Saturday mornings when we have our Community work time and kitchen helpers aged 6 to 70. There is a dedicated group of younger girls who help out on a regular basis, and I just love their enthusiasm; they will do anything they are asked to do from washing dishes to crimping pie crusts to making jam. I am happy to encourage our future chefs! I think one of their favorite things was helping make the candy for the gift shop. The white chocolate Oreo peppermint bark is the prettiest and quite delicious; I have included that recipe here so you can make it to enjoy over the holidays. A Blessed Christmas!
Peppermint Oreo Cookie Bark
CHANGE SERVING SIZElbs.
- 1 (18 oz) Package oreos
- 6 oz. peppermint candies hard (approximately 32) or ¾ cup Crushed Candy Canes
- 1 lb. white chocolate confectionery (such as: www.wilburbuds.com/docs/products/WhiteConfectioneryWafer.html)
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract pure, clear
- Prepare a 10×15 baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
- By hand, break up the cookies, each into four chunks.
- Unwrap the candies and put them in a ziplock bag.
- Pound them with a meat mallet until crushed, but still keeping some chunks.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, making sure that no steam or water gets into the chocolate mixture. Stir frequently.
- Once melted, add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract and mix well.
- Pour the chocolate mixture onto the sheet pan and spread to an even layer with a spatula – about ¼” thickness.
- Sprinkle with the broken Oreos and press them down into the chocolate slightly.
- Sprinkle with peppermint candy.
- Leave at room temperature to harden then break into desired pieces for bark.
- This can be packaged into clear bags with bows for a lovely Christmas gifts!