On the Cape, with the tourist season, summer officially starts on Memorial Day. This year it has been rainy and cold — more than I ever remember. It is so wet that we have not been able to get into one garden to plant it, a record late date for this!! In spite of that, the strawberries are pouring in a tubful at a time, sometimes 2 tubfuls at a time in spite of the fact that they are sometimes literally under water.
On Fridays we do projects in the kitchen — jams, cookies, or prepping for retreats or events. It is a good-sized crew, and very faithful. Last week one of the sisters was celebrating a 60th birthday. I asked one of the sisters to put something together, so we had this wonderful spread of cheese dip, cheese ball, crispy tortilla strips and… strawberry bruschetta — surprisingly delicious! Another way to enjoy those juicy jewels from the garden (or grocery store!)
Happy 60th Birthday Strawberry Bruschetta
CHANGE SERVING SIZE
- 1 loaf baguette bread
- 2 – 3 tbsp. butter softened
- about 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 orange(s) zested
- 1 lb. strawberries hulled, cut up
- 1 to 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar to taste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup mint fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut baguette into 1/2 inch slices.
- Butter one side of each slice.
- Place on baking sheet, and bake 4 to 5 minutes until toasty and golden.
- Set aside.
- Combine strawberries with vinegar and sugar, let sit while preparing cream cheese mixture.
- Beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth.
- Add zest and beat again to combine.
- Spread this onto baguette slices.
- Top each with strawberry mixture, and finish off with the chopped mint.