Who doesn’t love chocolate cake? I know I do. And I have to confess that I am very happy with a box cake mix. I have made scratch cakes and there are some that are great. But if you are in a hurry, a box chocolate cake mix does just fine. Especially if you dress it up with a homemade frosting. We recently were asked to make some desserts for a party and a chocolate cake was requested. I remembered a fudge frosting I had found in a Bon Appetitseveral years ago. Really simple but oh so delicious. So we baked up a fudge chocolate cake in three layers and spread this on it — everyone loved it!
CHANGE SERVING SIZE
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream chilled
- Bring cream, brandy and butter to simmer in a large heavy saucepan whisking until butter melts.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Add sour cream and whisk to blend.
- Refrigerate frosting until thick enough to spread, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.